River & Cycleway at Southrey
Double click on above images to download leaflet
Access to both the river and cycleway is very easy from the Car Park at the end of Ferry Road.
The station was opened on 17 October 1848 as part of the new 58 miles (93 km) Lincolnshire Loop Line, from Peterborough to Lincoln via Spalding and Boston. This line was authorised as part of the London and York Railway bill, which received Royal assent on 26 June 1846. The Great Northern Railway began construction of the loop line in 1847.
The station closed on 5 October 1970.
The 22 acre Southrey Wood is a coppiced woodland and is part of the extensive and historically important Bardney Limewoods. Parts of these woods have regenerated naturally with typical ancient woodland flora, despite being modified by clearfelling and plantations in the mid 20th century. Most of Southrey Wood is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
Managed by Butterfly Conservation.
The ground flora includes Lily-of-the-valley, Early Purple Orchid, Devil's-bit Scabious and Yellow Archangel.
Butterfly highlights: White Admiral, Purple Hairstreak, Brown hairstreak.
Other wildlife: The wood has an interesting fauna that includes grass-snake, Nightingale and Woodcock.
Location: Southrey Wood lies between Bardney and Southrey, on the B1190, the reserve occupies the north-west corner of the wood.
Grid reference: TF 127 682